· Supervise fire fighting. Ensure that the ship's fire
The DCA is required to perform the following
damage control duties and responsibilities:
bill is adequate. Assign and instruct personnel
according to the provisions of the bill.
· Prepare directives for the signature of the
· Maintain interior communication equipment.
commanding officer in connection with all
damage control functions requiring coordination
· Control and restore engineering and ship control
· Submit to the planning board for training, a
· Coordinate all naval shipyard work. This
schedule of all-hands damage control training
requirements, including battle problem
on alterations or repairs to the hull and installed
· Prepare a damage control training syllabus, and
· Maintain the PMS and other operating and
provide damage control instructors for all-hands
· Furnish standard damage control equipment
· Act as technical assistant to the executive officer
(tools, portable lights, and portable pumps) to
repair party lockers and to other prescribed
locations throughout the ship. Conduct periodic
· Provide ship facilities, equipment, and key
inspections of such equipment.
personnel to repair the hull and machinery.
· Assign Damage Controlmen and Hull
Ensure repairs to material and equipment of
Maintenance Technicians to various repair
other departments that are within the capacity
parties according to the ship's battle bill and
of the engineering department.
· Organize Repair 5 (Propulsion) according to the
· Conduct inspections throughout the ship,
ship's battle bill.
accompanied by the cognizant department head,
to ensure that the ship's watertight integrity is
· Supervise the training of Repair 5.
maintained. Ensure that all departments are
· Assign appropriate engineering ratings to other
maintaining a high degree of damage control
repair parties according to the ship's battle bill.
· Ensure that the master damage control book is
DAMAGE CONTROL ASSISTANT
updated whenever alterations are made to the
The damage control assistant (DCA) is responsible
· Ensure that damage control compartment
to the engineer officer for the control of damage. This
includes the control of stability, list, and trim. It also
check-off lists are posted.
includes fighting fires, repairing damage, and
· Ensure that damage control markings, routes,
maintaining CBR defense.
stations, and labels are posted throughout the
The DCA is the overall coordinator of damage
control matters within the command organization.
· Ensure that emergency escape routes to weather
This responsibility includes the ship's damage control
decks are clearly labeled.
training program. During emergency situations, the
DCA controls the damage control problem with the
· Maintain a damage control central (DCC) with
technical advice and assistance of all departments.
facilities to evaluate damage to the ship's hull and
Fires and other damage that occur while the ship is at
equipment and to make decisions to counteract
general quarters will be handled as a battle casualty.
the effects of such damages. Coordinate repair
Corrective action under the direction of the DCA will
parties and keep the commanding officer
be taken by the repair parties in the vicinity. On aircraft
informed of major developments.
carriers, the ship's air officer will direct repair parties
· Prescribe routes for transporting injured
for fires in aircraft or associated equipment on the
flight deck or in the hangar bays.
personnel to battle dressing stations.