13. Check to ensure that the hinged protective strip
of agents and to help determine when it is safe to
is over the test spots. Hold the sampler-detector
remove CBR protective masks and clothing.
horizontal with the left thumb over the center test spot.
When using the M256A1 kit to detect vapors in the
14. Make sure that the hinged heater assembly is
air, you should use the following procedures:
away from the test spot. The heater produces hot vapors
1. Remove the three operational instruction
and is hot to the touch. Keep the sampler-detector away
cards from the kit. Read these instructions before
from your face and bare skin once the ampoules have
2. Remove a sampler-detector from the kit.
15. C r u s h o n e o f t h e t wo g r e e n a m p o u l e s
Check to ensure that it has not exceeded its discard
(marked 4) with your finger. Immediately swing the
expiration date. Do not use an outdated
hinged heater assembly over the test spot. Vent the vapor
sampler-detector because it will not give you a reliable
away from your body. Leave the hinged heater assembly
in place for 2 minutes.
3. Read the instructions on both sides of the
16. Swing the hinged heater assembly and the
protective bag before proceeding.
hinged protective strip away from the test spot after the
4. Open the sampler-detector bag by tearing the
2 minutes have passed.
bag along the tear line that is marked with arrows. Hold
17. Hold the sampler-detector by the hinged
the sampler-detector on the windward side from you to
keep from picking up vapors from your protective
equipment. Do not allow excessive moisture, such as
18. Expose the test spots to the air for 10 minutes
r a i n a n d d e w, t o c o m e i n c o n t a c t w i t h t h e
while shielding the sampler-detector from direct
5. Carefully remove the sampler-detector from its
19. Crush the second green ampoule (marked 4)
protective bag. Save the protective bag to refer to the
with your finger. Swing the hinged heater assembly over
instructions that are printed on it. Do not touch the
the test spot, and vent the vapor away from you. Leave
sampler-detector agent test spots because incorrect test
the hinged heater assembly in place for 1 minute.
results may be produced.
20. Swing the hinged heater assembly away from
6. Handle the sampler-detector carefully. Hold it
the test spot after 1 minute has passed.
by the hinged protective strip in the closed position.
21. Hold the sampler-detector vertically with the
Keep the protective strip in the closed position to protect
test spots down.
the test spots.
22. Crush the remaining ampoules (marked 5) with
7. Swing the hinged heater assembly away from
your finger. Force the liquid from the two ampoules
the test spot and discard the two loose protective strips
through the formed channels to the test spots to ensure
under the hinged heater assembly.
8. Pull off and discard the pull tab (marked 1) to
23. Rerub the lewisite-detecting tablet with the
expose the lewisite detecting tablet.
lewisite tablet rubbing tab. Make sure that the second
9. Rub the top half of the white paper side of the
rub mark is next to the first rub mark.
lewisite tablet-rubbing tab (marked 2) on the lewisite
24. Immediately turn the sampler-detector over to
detecting tablet. Repeat the rubbing until a mark is
determine whether safe or danger conditions exist.
Observe the lewisite tablet rubbing tab for a difference
10. Hold the sampler-detector in the vertical
in color between the two rub marks. Also, you can use
position so that the ampoules are down.
the operational instruction cards to make a color
11. Crush the four reagent ampoules in the three
center pockets (marked 3) with your finger.
You can compare the blood agent and the lewisite
12. Rotate the sampler-detector until the test spots
tests immediately after the prescribed exposure time.
are in a down position. Force the liquid from the four
T h e b l i s t e r a g e n t s ( H a n d C X ) d eve l o p c o l o r
ampoules through the formed channels to the test spots
immediately after all of the ampoules are broken. The
to ensure wetting.
nerve agent test requires a waiting period of 2 minutes.