Figure 5-37.--Intersection without compass.
recheck your work to find the error. Do not assume that
rotate the straightedge until the unknown point is sighted
the position is at the center of the triangle.
along the edge.
STRAIGHTEDGE METHOD (WHEN NO
4. Draw a line along the straightedge.
COMPASS IS AVAILABLE).-- Study the following
5. Repeat the above procedures at Point B, and for
steps to locate an unknown point using the straightedge
a check on accuracy, at a third position.
method of intersection. (See fig. 5-37.)
6. The intersection of the lines is the location of
1. Orient the map on a flat surface by the inspection
unknown Point C.
2. Locate and mark your position on the map.
3. Lay a straightedge on the map and place one end
Locating the unknown position of the user by
at the position of the user (Point A) as a pivot point. Then
sighting on two or three known features is called